What should I do if I have been involved in a traffic accident?

If you are involved in an accident, determine whether or not anyone is injured. If necessary, contact the appropriate medical personnel as soon as possible. For emergencies, call 911. If any unknown substances or liquids are at the accident scene, keep away from them. They may be hazardous or even lethal. For non-injury accidents call the Louisville Metro Police Department at 574-7111 or 574-2111. If both parties agree on what happened in a non-injury accident, you may move the vehicles to the side of the roadway in order to expedite the flow of traffic. If the parties do not agree, do not move the vehicles in any case. Never move the vehicles if there are injuries to any of the parties. Never let anyone talk you out of having an accident report made. If you are unsure as to the proper procedures, call the Louisville Metro Police Department and wait until an officer arrives on the scene to assist you. Keep all parties and witnesses at the scene until the proper authorities arrive. You may pick up a copy of your accident report after 10 working days. This report can be picked up in person at:

701 West Ormsby Avenue, Suite 1, 

Louisville, Kentucky, 40203. 

You may check to see if your report is available by calling 502-574-2050. Accident reports can also be purchased electronically.

Show All Answers

1. Where is my car? Has it been towed?
2. Who do I call to give an anonymous tip on a crime or the whereabouts of a suspect in a crime?
3. I received a parking ticket. What do I do?
4. How do I report an abandoned vehicle?
5. How do I report a noise complaint?
6. How do I find out about street closures around the city?
7. How can I report drug activity in my neighborhood?
8. What should I do if I have been involved in a traffic accident?
9. What can I do about my noisy neighbors?
10. How can I report prostitution activity?
11. How do I get the police to monitor speeding in my neighborhood?
12. How do I get a copy of an accident or incident report?
13. How do I get a copy of my police record or have a background check run?
14. How do I report illegal dumping?
15. How do I make a complaint about a taxi or taxi driver?
16. How do I report people going in and out of an abandoned building?
17. How do I report an illegally parked car?
18. What should I do if there are kids playing ball in the street or riding their bikes in the street?
19. How do I report a pothole?
20. How do I obtain a warrant?
21. How do I pay a parking ticket?
22. What do I do if a parking meter is broken?
23. What do I do if a wild animal gets in my house?
24. What do I do if a stray animal wanders onto my property?