Crimes Against Seniors Information
|Adult Protective Services||502-595-4803|
|Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Hotline)||888-432-9257|
|Crimes Against Seniors Squad||502-574-2278|
|ElderServe Emergency Crisis Response Team||502-587-8673|
|Legal Aid Society||502-584-1254|
|Office for Aging & Disabled Citizens||502-574-5092|
|U of L Healthcare Geriatrics Center||502-588-4271|
Types of Fraud
- Telemarketing Fraud
- Fraudulent Charities
- Home Improvement Scams
- Identity Theft
- Purse Snatching
- Pigeon Drops
- Sweepstakes Scams
- Request any solicitations in writing.
- Never give personal information to someone you don't know.
- Don't be pressured into contributing or making decisions about a major purchase.
- Never pay in full before services are rendered.
- Never send money for free gifts.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau before hiring someone to do work for you.
- Shred any personal information before discarding.
- Never carry large sums of money on you, as well as, valuable jewelry or all your credit cards.
- Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it is!
The Senior Crime Victims' Program assists elderly victims (60+) who reside in the Metro Louisville/Jefferson County area. These crimes include: elder abuse, neglect, sexual abuse, financial exploitation and identity theft or fraud.
During the spring and early summer, the Crimes Against Seniors Squad always sees an increase in the number of citizens who fall prey to home improvement scams, particularly driveway seal coating scams.