- Always leave your headlights on when arriving home after dark until you have unlocked the garage door.
- When arriving home by private auto or taxi, ask the driver to wait until you are safely inside.
- Have the door key in your hand so you can open the door immediately when you return home.
- If you live alone, list only your first initial and last name on the mailbox, or in the telephone directory.
- When moving into a new apartment or residence, ALWAYS have the locks re-keyed, or changed.
- Know who is at your door before opening it.
- Wide angle door viewers (180 degrees or 190 degrees) enable you to identify the visitor. You can see the person, that person can't see you.
- Never rely on chain locks. They are a privacy lock, but not a security lock.
- Never dress in front of windows, always close your drapes.
- Never let anyone into your home without proper identification.
- Don't be afraid to ask for identification.
- Never let strangers into your home to use the telephone. Make the call for them while they wait outside.
- Always leave outside lights on after dark, or use motion lights.
- If you receive a wrong number phone call, don't give out your name or phone number.
- If you receive an obscene phone call, hang up and call police.
- In an apartment building, NEVER be alone in the laundry room.
- If you suspect that someone is in your house, do not go in. Go to a neighbor and call the police.
- If you see or hear anything suspicious, call the police.